Saturday, March 9, 2013

Disney Princess Half Marathon ~ Magic in Motion




I ran a HALF MARATHON!! Me…a  40 “something”  Mom of four..yes, I did! This wasn’t just your "run" of the mill 13.1 miles though…there were pirates, princes and princesses, a castle, music, and MAGIC…and I mean true magic in so many different ways! 

This year was my second year running Disney's Princess Half Marathon. The first year I didn’t know what to expect, the farthest I had ever run up until then was 3 miles here, 5 miles there…nothing even  close to 13 miles! About a month before the race I injured my shoulder and my training suffered…still I was determined to participate in the race. And I did… I finished and it was hot and hard and I was so focused on just finishing that I didn’t fully enjoy the experience. This time around it was a much different experience….my focus was on having fun and boy, did I ever. Fun running 13.1 miles you ask??? Well, here’s where that magic I was telling you about comes in:

The Magic of Teamwork
I felt as if I was on a team while running this race…a HUGE 26,000 person team of supportive encouraging individuals.  Along the race route I heard shouts from spectators and fellow runners,  “You can do it Princess”, “Keep going, almost there”, “You are awesome”! There were women running and walking with their friends, daughters, sisters, mothers….some recovering from cancer….some running for those who could not….some running their very first race ever at the age of 50….Men wearing princess tiaras and tutus running with their wives…an enormous group of cheerleaders pep talking each other throughout each mile. Amazing!


The Magic of Disney
I can think of no better place to run than at the “Most Magical Place on Earth”.  A Run Disney event has the same unparalleled magic of Disney Parks …it is magic in motion.  Jack Sparrow and his crew, handsome princes, beautiful princesses, a friendly genie and a candelabra , a few villains, and many many more characters greet you along your journey. There’s music ….thumping inspirational beats that help you push through your steps.  DJ’s, Marching bands and choir singers keep you motivated and moving.  AND then there’s the Castle…”THE CASTLE”. Imagine running up Main Street in Magic Kingdom ..the street lined with crowds of race fans hooting, hollering, and applauding as they rouse the runners onward.  Now imagine running up to the Castle’s rear entrance and getting to make your way through Cinderella’s intricately decorated hallway! I cried…I felt like a little girl, like a princess, a sweaty princess but an elated one no less.  There was some behind the scenes fun too as we ran through the back of the park and got to see Cinderella’s parade float and a rarely seen view of Thunder Mountain.  Heading in to the home stretch of the race the route takes you through Epcot and you run past Spaceship Earth. A royal welcome awaits you as you crossover the finish line and the medal..see for yourself...it’s fit for a Princess! 


The Magic of Believing
Here’s where I get a bit choked up thinking about being having completed the Disney Princess Half Marathon.  As a Mom my first priority is always my children. I manage my household and everyone's schedules and try my very best to be a good example to them in the way I live my life. All parents doubt themselves from time to time, I am no different. I often wonder if I am teaching my kids to be confident in themselves when clearly there are times when my own self confidence is lacking. I wonder sometimes if I have shown them how important it is to believe in their abilities. One of the best things that I got out of participating in this race was a belief in myself. I BELIEVED that I could do it. I BELIEVED while I was training on my treadmill for months. I BELIEVED when I was waiting in my crowded corral at 5:30am. I BELIEVED at Mile 5 when I was still full of energy and enjoying each step. I BELIEVED when I was sniffling (read sobbing) my way through Cinderella’s Castle. I BELIEVED at Mile 11 when my body had other plans than my mind did. ( my hip has since recovered , thank goodness) I BELIEVED in myself the whole entire way! It is not often that I will say out loud (or in writing ) that I am proud of myself..but, Holy cow, I RAN 13.1 MILES!! I am Strong, I am a Princess, and yes, I am Proud of myself!  By setting this personal goal and accomplishing it I was able to (even for just one day) let go of my doubts. As I saw my whole family waiting for me at the finish line I realized that I had just taught my children that they can do ANYTHING they set their minds to....they just have to BELIEVE!


For more information on Run Disney Events Click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment